Thursday, August 23, 2012

Heather's Homeless Day

Today our apartment was painted, and we weren't allowed to be there from 8-4. I don't start work for another week, so I had an awesome day exploring.

I started the morning out at Angelina's Cafe and Deli. I drive by it every time I drop Brandon off and have been eager to try it. I wasn't disappointed! I had a sweet morning bun, hot chocolate, and a fruit cup. It felt so European. The pastries are on display in a case, the doors are open, and everyone stops by on their way to work to grab coffee and a pastry.

2643565459_ORIG.jpeg

Next I stopped at Sport's Basement to buy some pepper spray to assuage my fears about cougar attacks. Turns out, according to the guy I talked to, pepper spray won't really work. He suggested I get a knife. Hmmm, not so sure I would be able to stab a mountain lion. So I bought a cute shirt from the sale rack instead. Sport's Basement is seriously awesome.

I drove 30 minutes north out of the dreary fog in SF to  sunny Fairfax, a quaint little town below Mt. Tamalpais. It was so beautiful! I had to park in town and ride my bike up to Camp Tamarancho to explore some of the touted "best singletrack in NorCal."  All I have to say is "Amazing". It was like a combination of Clark's Trail and Ridge 157 Trails. Sometimes flowy, sometimes technical singletrack and beautiful views. I was in heaven. Until I came upon this sign posted to a tree. Yep my nightmare was coming true. At which point I went into panic mode and zoomed down the rest of the trail, singing at the top of my lungs to warn any mt. lion of my presence.



I only saw one other person on this whole 11 mile ride, which was kind of creepy. He probably thought the only creepy part was that a weirdo girl was singing at the top of her lungs before she saw him and stopped. Embarrassed, I said, "Don't worry, I scared all the mountain lions for you." He smiled and I felt better.


Before I saw the sign:


After I saw the sign:

Right as I finished. I look good! Or relieved.



I finished the ride a bit hammered (see previous pic). It was hot and I only stopped twice for a quick second to snap a picture so I wouldn't get eaten. I stopped at a streetside cafe on the way back in Fairfax. Most mt bikers go for beers after rides. I go for oreo milkshakes. (Weird pic because I didn't want anyone to see the weirdo eating by herself and taking pictures of herself)



By now it was one o clock and I still had three hours to kill. I got a free pass from our housing complex to go to the Exploratorium at the Fine Arts Palace in SF. It was pretty cool. They had exhibits on physics, math, social science/psychology and biology. 


Back to gloomy SF.


My face as it would look if it were two right sides or two left sides. I have read that beauty in a face is the result of symmetry. I don't think my face is symmetrical.  You can make whatever assumptions you want from that. Also, apparently one of my eyes is twice the size of the other.




Fun Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment