Thursday, August 30, 2012

Just call me Professor Nakken

Ok so maybe that's a little bit or a lot bit of a stretch. I don't call myself professor....all I know is that my friends think so. (Disclaimer: that's an Emma quote.....pretty sure none of my friends would call me that)  I think I'll stick with instructor and just have the class call me Heather, but I still feel like a student.




Yesterday was my first day on the payroll. Class doesn't start until next week but we had a faculty meeting and teaching expo. I had to get up super early to take the free Presidio bus downtown. Free transportation? Thanks National Park Service.




We had a day full of seminars and a faculty meeting. It was really great to meet other instructors and eat some delicious food catered by Whole Foods. I was able to get trained and learn how my classes are set up with quizzes, assignments, and tests. I am really excited about the material and really excited to be putting my education to use. I have been having some severe career envy with Brandon in dental school. This helps.

Things I learned:

The math and science department is tiny. I know it's an art school and all, but come on! The good new is, the class I am teaching is pretty new. Currently there are three sections. They expect it to grow a lot and may add as many as three new sections next semester. More work and more pay for me!

I don't look like a professor. This is ok for this semester because I am teaching online, but next semester, I need some professional clothes. It's funny because I never felt out of place among science professionals even  at conferences away from BYU, but here my lack of fashion sense sticks out like a sore thumb.

There are some really talented students at Academy of Art. It was really fun to walk by some of the student displays. It would be really fun to be an art major.



Next post I'll talk more about Brandon. All I have been posting about is myself lately. He is doing way cooler stuff than I.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Emma quote... :) It sounds like you're having a great time out there! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete